Project and Allocation Management
The CARC User Portal is how users manage their projects and allocations on CARC systems. Projects and allocations on both the general use Discovery cluster and the Endeavour condo cluster are managed in the CARC User Portal.
For information on accessing the CARC's systems (including the User Portal) and the types of allocations available, see the Accounts and Allocations page.
The CARC User Portal uses ColdFront, an open source resource allocation management tool developed by the University at Buffalo's Center for Computational Research. ColdFront supports the management of resources and user allocations to those resources. The tool allows users to request and manage the access they and their students or collaborators have to the resources in the CARC's data center.
The User Portal handles the management of 3 components: Projects, Allocations and Resources.
- The CARC has multiple distinct resources to track
- Resources include: clusters, department/lab servers, software licenses, storage, and clouds
- Some resources have limits (e.g., storage has a limit of GB/TB, licenses have a limit of seats available)
- Allocations indicate what resources you have access to and any limits associated with that access
- All CARC resources require an allocation
- Allocations expire either by date or when a limit is reached - this information varies per allocation and is available when you log in to the User Portal
- All USC faculty & staff members can have at least one project
- Each project has a description, field of research, grants, publications, and allocations to resources
For more detailed information and step-by-step instructions, see the CARC User Portal User Guides below.